Nearly all breeds of dogs require some exercise, some more than others. One breed that needs plenty of exercise is the Rhodesian Ridgeback. A strong, handsome dog, the Rhodesian Ridgeback is built for running and endurance. It takes quite a lot to tire a Rhodesian Ridgeback; in fact, you are likely to tire out long before they do.
Let the dog outdoors to run. Don't keep a Rhodesian Ridgeback cooped up in a house or apartment all day. This breed of dog needs to run. A large yard or a park is a great place to let a Rhodesian Ridgeback do his running.
Include a Rhodesian Ridgeback in any type of outdoor exercise you indulge in. If you run, jog or cycle, bring your Rhodesian Ridgeback with you. This dog can go for very long distances without tiring.
Bring your Rhodesian Ridgeback to the beach, or allow it to swim in your pool. Rhodesian Ridgebacks love to swim and this is a great way for him to get his proper exercise.
Make sure to exercise your Rhodesian Ridgeback daily. If you can't run or jog, a long walk will do fine. If your schedule allows, a walk or run more than once a day would be even better.
Tips & Warnings
- Running while off his leash is great exercise for a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Try to find a large fenced area where he can run at least a few times every week.
- Do the best you can to give your Rhodesian Ridgeback as much exercise as possible, but don't worry if you don't get him for long runs or romps in the park every day. This breed will adapt to your lifestyle and will eventually accept whatever exercise you can give him.
- Take your Rhodesian Ridgeback hunting if you happen to enjoy this activity. This breed is a hunting dog; not only might you benefit from their company, this is a great way to get the dog plenty of outdoor exercise.
- Do not bring your Rhodesian Ridgeback for a walk, jog or run without having him on a leash. This breed tends to be over-protective and may confront other dogs if let loose.
- Do not keep your dog cooped up indoors for long periods without exercise. Rhodesian Ridgebacks can get very destructive if not exercised sufficiently.
The Best Dog Breeds to Run With
Certain breeds of dogs make better running companions than others. ... Rhodesian ridgebacks possess a lot of energy but tend to become...