If you really want to put yourself out in the limelight, it helps to produce products that showcase you as a model and get you noticed. A modeling calendar is one great way to get the ball rolling.
Things You'll Need
- Lots of outfits!
- Locations for shoot
- Marketing plan
- Printing house
The first step before setting up any shoots is to work out the theme of your calendar. Do you want to do a swimsuit calendar? Glamour? Outfits that reflect the holidays in each month? It's important to have a vision of what you want your calendar to look like.
Start looking into photographers and other folks who will help you develop a well-polished product: makeup artist, stylist, etc. Communicate with your photographer and make sure he/she understands your vision and get their feedback as well.
Plan your outfits for each month and set up a schedule of shoots dates that include the location(s). To save on time, it helps to arrange it so you can fit more than one shoot in a day.
When it comes to the types of shots in your calendar, the focus should be on you. Your calendar should include everything from close ups to full body and half body shots that showcase your figure and look.
Once you've completed all your shoots and you've chosen the lucky photos, it's time to find a printing company who will format and print your calendars. Some printing companies offer different calendar layouts so you can choose which style you like best.
Depending on how many calendars you plan to sell, choose your quantity wisely. The minimum quantity tends to be 250. Don't get more than you feel you can actually sell or else you'll lose out on money.
If you plan on selling your calendar in an actual store just know that the process isn't easy. You must contact the seller and find out what the process entails. Usually the calendars sold in stores are shot and packaged an entire year before the actual year the calendar is representing. For example, if you wanted to do a 2009 calendar, you'd be too late...your calendar submission should have been turned in during late 2007 to early 2008! So you may want to look into selling your calendars online via a modeling website, paypal, ebay, etc.
To promote the launch and sale of your calendar, schedule a calendar release party at the hottest club/lounge. Talk to promoters or if you know someone in the business, let them know what's going on and ask if they can help promote your event. Also contact radio stations and send them a copy of your calendar to get them interested in interviewing you.
Start selling! Be sure to do research to find out how much you should charge. Even if you don't sell all of your calendars, the marketing you've done and the customers you do sell to, will give you exposure and you'll slowly but surely start building your own fan base. How many models can actually say they have their own calendar?!
Tips & Warnings
- To prevent any trouble with the feds, be sure to apply for a short term business license. Pay your fees on time and make sure that your paperwork is accurate and up to date. Once you're done selling your calendars, you can simply let your business license expire.
- Make sure to involve all of your friends and family in promoting your calendar. If each of them can sell at least 2-3 calendars for you, that eventually adds up!
- The process of putting together your own calendar is not cheap. Unless you have a sponsor to help you, you'll have to invest your own money. But if you really believe in yourself and your product, it'll be worth it.
- Make sure to research printing companies thoroughly until you find the one that works with your budget.
- Don't expect to get rich quick. The first time you put out a calendar yourself, it's more about exposure and creating a buzz. Once the calendars are out there, everything else will fall into place as long as you continue to promote yourself and your modeling career.
- How to Put Together a Marketing Campaign
- How to Get Sponsorship for Fundraisers
How to Make a Professional Calendar
Most people have several calendars: one for home, one for the office, even calendars for purses and glove compartments. So it's logical...
How to Put Pictures Together
Use the Picture Collage feature of Goggle's Picasa software to join different images together. Learn how to piece together digital pictures and...