My hobby is making chocolate candy. I do it efficiently. I own a lot of candy molds as well. If you're just starting out, your local craft store is the best place to go.
Things You'll Need
- Chocolate melts (1 lb bags)
- Candy molds
- Lollipop sticks (4.5" and 6")
- Bags for your candy
- Curling ribbon or twist ties
Melt chocolate in the microwave.
If you do melt multiple colors you can do it at the same time.
Melt the chocolate at 40 second intervals in the microwave, stir each time. [Green melts quicker than yellow and I have burned green chocolate before - avoid it if possible.]
While your chocolate is melting have your molds ready to pour the candy into. Measure your sticks - all molds should use a 4.5 inch stick, not all molds can use a 6 inch stick though.
Once chocolate is melted, spoon your chocolate in the cavity of the mold. If you overfill the cavity you can trim it down with a knife, but that takes extra time.
Gently drop candy mold on counter to get rid of air bubbles.
Place in freezer for 10 minutes, or so. (Temperatures may vary) If you can lift out the candy of the mold - it's done.
Let candy set before bagging. Double knot your curling ribbon.
Tips & Warnings
- Excess chocolate can be stored in dark, dry cabinet. Keep in ziploc bag.
- If you have excess melted chocolate you can pour in an aluminum muffin pan. Let it set up and pop it out until the next time.
- Local craft stores have sales all the time on candy. Be on the lookout for cost savings.
- Once you get comfortable doing one flavor, try painting the molds in with a toothpick
- Chocolate is toxic to dogs.
How to Make Candy
Candy evolved as a way to satisfy our sweet tooth, and it was originally made from a simple honey syrup. Today, however,...
How to Melt Chocolate for Coating Candy
Cocoa beans made their way through history to become favored by many for what they are most regularly used for today: making...
How to Make Dark Chocolate
How to Make Dark Chocolate. Dark chocolate is a beneficial snack, containing elements that stimulate the brain, ... How to Make Chocolate...