How to Identify Dual Voltage Appliances


When you travel overseas, you'll probably want to bring some electronic gear with you. For example, you may want to bring your laptop, a hand-held game console or even your hairdryer. Before you travel, you'll want to purchase some adapters so that you can plug in your electronics. You may need a power converter. This depends on whether or not your electronics are dual voltage. If they are, you can save the money on the converter.

  • Look at the plug for your electronic device. Determine if the device contains any language about dual voltage.

  • Look for a notation about input. When you find that line, determine the voltage the device will accept. If the input is 110V to 240V, your device is dual voltage. You can use a plug adapter, but do not need to use a power converter.

  • Purchase a power converter if the device says 110V but does not mention 240V. Your device is not dual voltage.

  • Contact your travel agent or a representative at your travel destination before you travel. Plug holes, shapes and sizes vary from country to country.

Tips & Warnings

  • On a laptop, the input directions are sometimes on the bottom of the laptop instead of on the power adapter. If you cannot find the input on the adapter, keep looking.
  • When you are overseas, don't leave the converter plugged in when you are not using it. Converters can overheat and may cause a fire if left for too long.
Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Read Article

Packing for a Trip to the Beach

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!