It's been said that a skirt should be long enough to cover the basics, but short enough to be interesting. Depending on the person, weather or occasion, the right length skirt can be the most important aspect of an attractive outfit. Learn to choose the right length to enhance your look in any season.
Consider your age. Regardless of the physical shape you're in, it is likely that a miniskirt may not look appropriate for you if you are 50, as opposed to when you were 20.
Pay attention to the season or time of year. Shorter skirts look better in the spring and summer months than they do when it's colder.
Examine the event at which you will wear the skirt. The more business-like the event, the more conservative you need to be. Conservative skirts should hit below the knee or lower when you are standing up.
Think about your level of modesty. Select the skirt with the length that feels most comfortable to you. Even if you have great legs, you won't look good in a short skirt if you lack the confidence to wear one.
Watch the current fashion trends. This season's popular styles often indicate where the hem will fall.
Consider the shoes you want to wear. Shorter skirts or miniskirts look great with flats, while sandals with heels or pumps accentuate longer skirts.
Know the style of the skirt you are wearing. Many styles and cuts should only be worn at certain lengths. Learn about the ideal lengths of various skirts at Buxom (see Resources below).
Tips & Warnings
- If you want to wear a shorter skirt in the fall or winter, put on a pair of thick stockings or tights.
- Many skirts can look more "wintery" if you wearing a pair of boots with them.
- Unless you feel comfortable wearing a miniskirt with boots in the winter, it is better to select a long skirt that covers the tops of your boots.
- Most fashion experts advise that you never select a skirt that falls at mid-calf. This look rarely works on any body type.
- The length of a skirt can be undermined by the rest of a woman's outfit. For example, if her blouse is too low-cut or is showing cleavage, she may still look overexposed, regardless of how long her skirt is.
How to Make a Long Skirt
Making a long skirt is a nice way to be creative with your choice of fabric and design. You could choose a...
The Best Clothing for a Short-Waisted Figure
Just about everyone has one physical attribute about their body they wish they could change. Some people take drastic measures to hide...
When to Wear a Tea Length Gown
Wedding-planning service Beau Coup defines "tea length" as "a gown hemmed to end at the shin. [It's] ultra-conservative but with a modern...