This easy side dish is a good way to get kids to eat cottage cheese. The flavors and fruits can be adjusted to suit your preferences, and you can keep it healthy by using low-calorie ingredients. The instructions are for orange, but you could combine lime Jell-O with pineapple, strawberry or banana Jell-O with fresh strawberries, or cherry Jell-O with Bing cherries.
Things You'll Need
- 1 small package of Jell-O, any flavor
- 9 ounces whipped topping
- 1 container small curd cottage cheese
- 1 small can mandarin oranges, drained
Empty the container of cottage cheese into a bowl. Add the flavored gelatin powder into the bowl of cottage cheese. Using an electric mixer, combine the cottage cheese and gelatin on low to medium speed. This gives a creamier consistency.
Add the entire container of whipped topping into the cottage cheese mixture and stir together. Add the mandarin oranges and combine.
Transfer the mixture into an 8-by-8 pan and smooth it out. Place the dish in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours. Once it has set, cut it into squares and serve. You could also spoon it into parfait glasses and layer with additional whipped topping to make it more of a dessert.
Tips & Warnings
- You can change up the flavors and fruit combinations examples below.
- Lime jello with pineapple
- Strawberry / Banana jello with fresh strawberries
- Cherry jello with bing cherries when they are in season or canned cherries(not cherry pie filling).
- If you are watching your calories you can use light cottage cheese or light cool whip as well.
- The Difference Between Ricotta Cheese & Cottage Cheese
How to Make Banana and Strawberry Jello Salad
Fruit flavored gelatin is popular in the summertime. It is a quick and easy dish to bring to family dinners and reunions....
How to Make Pretzel Jell-O Salad
For one of the best desserts around, try your hand at some strawberry pretzel Jell-O salad. This unique combination of sweet and...
How to Make Orange Jello Dreamsicle Salad
Three variations of a creamy Dreamsicle-inspired mandarin orange salad. Includes optional mix-in ingredients and notes for reduced fat and sugar-free options.
How to Make Lime & Cream Cheese Jello
As the 1964 official slogan says, "There's always room for Jello." While jello is simple to put together, make sure to start...
How to Make Lime Jell-O Salad
Lime Jell-O salad is an easy-to-make treat that is inexpensive and can be made in a variety of ways. It can also...
- Recipes for Bariatric Surgery Patients