You have decided to have a cosmetic facial procedure, and whether it is an eye lift or a nose job, one of the common side effects to any facial surgery is bruising. While this is inevitable, there are things to do before and after your surgical procedure that will help to minimize your bruising and how long it lasts. With the addition of a few herbal and vitamin supplements as well as proper aftercare, your bruising can be reduced and your healing process made easier.
Things You'll Need
- Arnica Montana supplements
- Vitamin C supplements
- Bromelain supplements
- Cold compress
Do not take aspirin, ibuprofen or vitamin E supplements for at least two weeks prior to your facial procedure. These medications act as a blood thinner and can increase your risk of bruising.
Take 1,000 milligrams of vitamin C starting three days prior to surgery and for seven days after your facial procedure. Vitamin C aids in immunity and healing.
Take three or four Arnica Montana supplement pellets under your tongue beginning three days prior to your facial surgery, recommends SurgicalArt.net. Take these four times a day and continue taking them for five days after the procedure. This is a homeopathic herb designed to reduce bruising.
Take 1,000 milligrams of Bromelain supplements for the five days following surgery, says Dr. Scott M. Goldstein of TriCountyEye.com. This is a homeopathic medication designed to minimize facial bruising.
Apply a cold compress to the facial bruising area every 20 minutes for 2 to 3 days after your procedure.
Sleep with your head elevated at a 45-degree angle. This helps reduce swelling and bruising of the facial area, according to Aspen Rehabilitation.
Tips & Warnings
- Avoid aspirin and ibuprofen before the procedure to minimize bruising.
- Continue taking pre-procedure supplements for at least a week after the procedure.
- I bruise easily, and I swear by arnica gel. It's found in the health-food store and makes any kind of bruise disappear amazingly quickly.
- You can take a vitamin C supplement before the procedure, but be sure to drink plenty of water if you do so to reduce a risk of kidney stones.
- Never apply heat right after a procedure. It causes tissue swelling that can increase bleeding and worsen a bruise.
- Some people react negatively to vitamin K. Test any lotions containing this ingredient in an inconspicuous spot before using on your face.
- Photo Credit Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images
How to Reduce Swelling and Bruising After Mohs Surgery
Mohs Micrographic Surgery is a specialized surgery commonly used to remove skin cancer, such as basal cell carcinoma and Squamous cell carcinoma,...
How to Prevent and Hide Bruises from Cosmetic Procedures
How to Prevent and Hide Bruises from Cosmetic Procedures. ... How to Prevent Blood Clots After Surgery. Surgical procedures introduce injury to...
How to Help a Bruise on the Face Heal Quickly
The Mayo Clinic recommends taking ibuprofen for pain relief and to reduce swelling.
How to Care for a Bruise
How to Hide a Bruise. Proper treatment heals and shortens the appearance of bruises. In the meantime, ... How to Minimize Bruising...
How to Get Rid of Bruises
Use warm compresses and ice to minimize bruising with help from a board-certified dermatologist in this free video on skin care. Part...
How to Get Rid of a Bruise Quickly
How to Get Rid of a Bruise or Hickey. ... How to Camouflage a Facial Bruise; How to Get Rid of Pen...
Vitamins to Prevent Bruising
Bruises are purple and blue dark discolored spots on the skin that can be painful to the touch. People who bruise easily...
How to Treat Bruises
Bruises occur when the body is injured by blunt force. The underlying blood vessels tear and blood leaks to the surrounding tissue....