The squash book album can be made into various sizes depending on your needs. Squash books are sometimes called explosion albums because then you open them up you will have an "explosion" of photos right at your finger tips. You can make a squash book for a gift or just something to show off some recent pictures of your kids and/or family.
Things You'll Need
- Cardboard or heavy paper squares (for the cover and back of your album)
- Scrapbook paper (cardstock and patterned paper)
- Cutting tools (scissors, paper trimmer, etc)
- Embellishments (metal embellishments, ribbon, stamps, stickers, etc.)
- Ink pads
- Writing tools
Decide what size you want your album such as 3x3, 4x4, 6x6, etc.
Cut your cardboard to fit the size of the squash book. For example if you are making a 6x6 album then you would cut the cover and back of the album about ½" bigger so it fits over the middle of the squash book.
Cut patterned papers to cover the cardboard. You want the paper to fold over the covers so it is completely covered. You are going to want about 1" at each end to fold over the cardboard square.
Set your album covers aside and select 3 pieces of 12x12 cardstock. The 12x12 squares will fold into a 6x6 album.
Tips & Warnings
- Use a theme for your squash book so that you can display certain pictures in the album. You can make a holiday book, brag book or a back to school theme.
- Bulky embellishments like metal charms, buttons and other dimensional items don't work as well because you have to fold the layers of the squash book shut.
How to Make an Altered Book
An altered book is any book recycled to make a work of art. Though used hardcover books are the most frequent sources...
How to Make Accordion-Fold Books
An accordion-fold book is a simple book with its inside pages folded back and forth -- much like the bellows of an...
How to Make Unique Card Folds
Greeting cards are given for many different occasions such as birthdays, holidays and weddings. You can make your own greeting cards to...