How to Use Form 2350 for Extension of Time for Filing

Many people hate tax time. However, when you are not ready and still have to gather items to fill out your taxes, you file an extension. To make matters worse, you are in a foreign country and are unable to return to the U.S. before April 15. That's where Form 2350 comes in. Whether you file your own taxes or have an accountant, this form will come in handy.


    • 1

      Look at your circumstances. If you are a U.S. citizen abroad or a resident alien here and you think you will meet the criteria for "foreign earned income exclusion" or "foreign housing exclusion," you will need to file Form 2350.

    • 2

      Realize that you are going to have to file an extension. Look through your IRS booklet or check online to verify the name of the form you need. The Form 2350 is what individuals living in a foreign country file for an extension to pay their taxes after April 15.

    • 3

      Use the link in the Resource section below to download Form 2350. You will need to fill it out either online or manually. The information needed is name, address, social security number, amount of extension needed and the amount you expect to owe (if you even know that yet).

    • 4

      Track your moving expenses. When you moved to the foreign country, what expenses were involved? If you have not already done so, you must meet the "bona fide residence test" or the "physical presence test." These tests will prove where your tax home is.

    • 5

      Send the form, after filling it out, to the IRS at the following address: Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Austin, TX 73301-0215. Conversely, you may give it to an IRS representative.

    • 6

      Mail your payment or submit it online (if you owe) when the extension time is over.

Tips & Warnings

  • If you use an accountant, they make these decisions for you.
Related Searches


You May Also Like

Related Ads

Related Searches
Check It Out

#eHowHacks: Self Watering Tip