A Coke float is a simple, refreshing combination of vanilla ice cream and Coca-Cola. You can make several variations of the traditional Coke float by adding another beverage or flavoring, or by substituting different flavors of ice cream. This old-fashioned treat is cooling and welcome on a hot summer day. Be aware that if you pour the soda too fast, you may end up with an overflowing glass and a sticky mess. Warm Coke will also fizz more than ice-cold Coke, so make sure it's well chilled.
Things You'll Need
- Large soda glasses
- Ice cream scoop
- Vanilla ice cream
- Vanilla extract (optional)
- Maraschino cherry (optional)
- Long-handled spoons
Put one or two scoops of vanilla ice cream into the bottom of each large glass.
Pour the Coke over the ice cream extremely slowly.
Add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract to each glass, if you wish, then stir.
Place a maraschino cherry with stem attached on the top of the Coke float and serve with a straw. Provide a long-handled spoon so the ice cream can be eaten when the soda is gone.
Tips & Warnings
- You can turn your Coke float into an alcoholic beverage by substituting a creamy liqueur, such as strawberry cream, for the ice cream. Mix in 1 ounce of strawberry cream liqueur with a splash of Coke and stir well.
- Another variation features rum and Coke topped with rum-flavored ice cream.
- Try making a coffee Coke float, which combines a scoop of vanilla ice cream with 1 cup of sweetened coffee. Top off with Coke.
- Try different flavors of ice cream, such as chocolate, lemon or cherry.
- Photo Credit Naypong/iStock/Getty Images
How to Make a Homemade Coca-Cola Cake
The Coca-Cola Company considers this cake one of its heritage recipes. The company distributes a recipe that uses prepackaged devil's food cake...
What Kind of Food Should You Have at a Sock Hop?
Even if the '50s were before your time, a sock hop makes an easy party theme. While you may know to dust...
Ideas for Coca-Cola Displays
Coca-Cola is a brand synonymous with refreshment and classic American values. You can create a fun display for the renowned soft drink...