Combining the light flavor of fish and the hearty flavor of the frying process, fried breaded fish is popular in many cultures, such as Southern U.S., British and Asian cultures. While breading materials, seasonings and fish types may vary, the basic procedure is the same.
Things You'll Need
- White fish fillets
- Wet ingredient, such as milk, water or beaten eggs
- Breading, either breadcrumb cornmeal or pre-packaged breading mix
- Bowls and plates
- Deep fryer
- Cooking oil
- Tongs and spoons
- Paper towels for draining
- Sauce, such as tartar sauce or ketchup
- Lemon slices
Assemble the ingredients. Pick fillets of white fish, such as cod or catfish. The fillets need to be moistened before beginning the breading process. Use water, beaten eggs or milk for wetting the fillets. Keep approximately 2 cups of flour on a plate for dredging the fillets. Decide on a breading material. Pre-packaged breading mixes are available in most supermarkets. Seasoned cornmeal or breadcrumbs are other choices. Select an oil for the deep fryer, such as vegetable or canola oil.
Start the oil heating in the deep fryer. Heat the oil to approximately 350 degrees F. If using milk, soak the fillets in the milk while the oil is heating.
Begin the breading process when the oil is heated. Take a moistened fillet and dredge in the flour. Thoroughly coat the fillet in the breading material. If the breading material does not adhere to an area of the fillet, remoisten the area and coat the area again with breading material. Prepare all fillets in the same manner.
Lower the fillets carefully into deep fat fryer. Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Monitor the fillets so they do not over cook.
Remove finished fillets from the deep fryer. Drain briefly on paper towels to remove excess oil. For best results, serve immediately. Serve with tartar sauce, cocktail sauce or ketchup. Garnish with lemon slices.
Tips & Warnings
- Using milk to moisten the fillets helps remove some of the "fishy" taste.
- Add fish to the deep fryer basket after the basket has been lowered into the hot oil. This keeps breaded fish from sticking to the basket.
- Always follow food and kitchen safety rules. When working with raw eggs, wash hands and surfaces with soap and hot water. When working with hot oil, always have a fire extinguisher available. Never allow children near a deep fryer while cooking.
- Always follow the manufacturer's operating instructions when using the deep fryer.
- Always unplug an empty deep fryer.
How to Fry Fish in a Deep Fryer
People all over the world enjoy eating fish. There are several ways to cook fish, such as frying it in a deep...
How to Fry Fish That Was Frozen
You may want to deep fry the fish if you are cooking for a crowd, but when you are cooking for one,...
Deep Fry Breaded Fish
Techniques for deep frying breaded fish; learn how to make a bread batter out of breading, milk, eggs and flour to deep...
How Long to Cook Fish
Cooking times for fish vary depending on the size of the fish and the cooking method. While there are methods for estimating...
How to Pan Fry Fish
How to Pan Fry Fish. Pan frying is an easy and delicious way to prepare fish. ... How to Know How Long...