Exterior jobs around the house don't always come on the first story, and few people are tall enough to reach 8 feet or higher. For painting, cleaning gutters, working on the roof or caulking jobs, the extension ladder is an essential tool.
Things You'll Need
- Extension ladder
Extend the ladder at least 3 feet beyond the length needed for the job. Put the rung locks in place so that the top part doesn't slide down as you're erecting it.
Lay the ladder on the ground and place the base firmly against the wall.
Go to the top of the ladder, lift it, get underneath and gradually raise it as you walk toward the wall.
Lift the base of the ladder and move it away from the wall. The distance from the wall should equal one-fourth of the extension ladder's height.
Use both hands, ideally, while climbing, but if you must carry something, face the ladder and hold on with one hand.
Tips & Warnings
- Hook one leg over a rung if you need to work with both hands.
- Keep your hips between the rails. If you need to reach, move the ladder.
- If the ladder wobbles when you begin to climb, get down and change the ladder's position until it is steady.
- Avoid the top three steps of the ladder. The top portion can be unstable and invite a fall.
- Before erecting the ladder, check for any power lines in the area. A metal or wet wooden ladder conducts electricity and can deliver a fatal shock if it touches a power line.
- Follow the rule about distance from the wall. If the angle is too steep, the ladder could fall.
How to Rent an Extension Ladder
Extension ladders come in handy for jobs that a regular ladder won't reach. These specialty ladders can be rented in extended heights,...
How to Use an Extension Ladder Safely
Extension ladders will enable you to reach high work but can be dangerous. The following will help you to use the extension...
How to Use an Extension Ladder to Trim Tree Branches
At some point, you will need to trim the trees at your home or property. Although pruning trees can be simple, sometimes...
How to Raise a Heavy Extension Ladder
Raising a heavy extension ladder can seem like a daunting task, and should certainly never be attempted by someone who is not...
How to Extend an Extension Ladder
Extension ladders have a main and "fly" section to extend the height of the ladder. Some ladders have two fly sections so...
How to Set Up a Ladder
Extension ladders are used for reaching high, out-of-the-way places such as the upper reaches of a house or branches of a tree....