Cayenne pepper is a hot chili pepper which is commonly used in spicy dishes. However, in addition to cayenne pepper's many culinary applications, it has many medicinal uses. These steps describe some of the ways you can utilize this versatile hot stuff.
Take cayenne pepper for general health. Cayenne pepper is high in vitamin C, vitamin A, iron, potassium and niacin. Paprika, a mild form of cayenne pepper, is especially high in vitamin C. Use it if you dislike hot spice.
Put cayenne pepper in food to make it more digestible. Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, which stimulates the digestive system by encouraging the output of gastric fluids.
Use cayenne pepper externally on painful joints, pain from arthritis and to reduce swelling. Cayenne pepper increases blood flow to the area where applied. Make a lineament to apply to the skin by bringing a pint of cider vinegar to boil and adding a tablespoon of cayenne pepper.
Gargle water mixed with cayenne pepper as a treatment for sore throats and strep throat. Dissolve cayenne pepper powder in water or boil whole cayenne peppers in water for use in gargling. Don't use too much cayenne pepper, or you'll burn your mouth. Store leftover cayenne water in the refrigerator.
Add cayenne pepper to Mexican, Creole, or Cajun cooking or any dish that needs a dash of hot spice. Cayenne pepper can be join or replace chili powder in most recipes.
Tips & Warnings
- Use cayenne pepper in moderation because of its potency. It's best to use a little at a time to see what you can tolerate.
- Do not put cayenne pepper directly in dishes that you will freeze or store in the refrigerator for a long period. The spice becomes too hot as it sits and overpowers the dish. Instead, apply cayenne pepper to these dishes just prior to serving.
Uses for Ginger & Cayenne Pepper
Ginger root and cayenne pepper have been used for centuries for medicinal purposes and culinary preparation. Ginger is a thick, beige, knotty...
- How to Use Cayenne Pepper for Arthritis Pain
- How to Lose Weight With Cayenne Pepper
- How to Lower Blood Pressure with Cayenne Pepper
- How to Take Cayenne to Beat Candida
How to Preserve Cayenne Peppers
Cayenne peppers from the store or garden add spice and nutrition to recipes and salads. Cayenne peppers can be used fresh within...
Meatloaf is an American dinnertime staple. Most variations use a combination of ground beef, veal and pork along with breadcrumbs and eggs...