This article will give instructions about the basic steps in faux painting techniques. Faux in French means to fool. There is literally an infinite number of ways to do faux painting. I will explain one of the most simple and effective methods of acquiring a painted finish that resembles granite.
Things You'll Need
- Your choice of concrete floor paint colors. You will need several.
- Paint brushes, paint rollers, empty plastic grocery bags, sea sponge.
- Trays/buckets to put paint in.
- Extremely soft dusting brush's or feather dusters.
Clean your floor and scrape debris if need be. Be sure it is free of any oils, grease,wax etc. Clear the floor of any furniture. If you want to do this outside use exterior porch paint or the equivalent. Preparing your floor properly cannot be over stressed. If the floor is not prepared properly the paint will blister, peel and ruin all your hard work. It doesn't matter if the floor has already been painted. You can just paint over it providing it is free of debris. You can patch any holes or chips with any good concrete patching compound. Patches must dry thoroughly. Vacuum your floor just before painting.
- It would behoove you to practice on a board or something before trying this on the floor. Paint your practice board/sheet with your basic background color, two coats, let dry. Wad up one of the plastic grocery bags and dip one edge flattened out into a small amount of one of the other complimentary colors and daub it up and down and around in a totally random fashion on the practice board. Take another bag and do the same thing with a different color. At any point in time, before the daubs dry too much, you can brush the area with the feather duster or soft brush to blend and flatten the paint daubs. This technique resembles flecks of stone particles in the granite. Wet the sea sponge and use it to do the same thing to get even smaller flecks. Be sure to blend all the paint daubs so the surface is flat.
- When you feel confident that your are ready to paint the floor, start again with the basic background color and paint the entire floor two coats using either paint rollers or a brush. Let it dry completely. Then apply the techniques you used on your practice board/sheet. The stiffer the baggies the better. The recyclable heavy garbage bags work quite well. Brown paper bags work too. Work one pattern all over the floor at a time. Then go back over with another type tool until you are satisfied with the appearance. If not you can paint over it and start again.
There is no limit to the number of things you can try to apply paint so as to resemble flecks of stone. You can use a spatter brush, etc.
If you desire you can add two top coats of water base polyurethane. Gloss will make it look more like polished stone. Be sure to use water base polyurethane. The oil base polyurethane will give the finish a yellow cast which makes it look dirty. Not good.
Tips & Warnings
- Don't be fearful about doing this. Remember you can always paint over anything you don't like.
- And remember there is literally and infinite number of colors and shapes of granite.
- Use water base paint.
- Be sure to clean all your equipment when done.
- Don't walk on the paint when it's wet.
- The feather duster can be washed out. Feathers are water proof.
How to Make a Concrete Floor
Pouring a concrete floor for a new shed or garage is actually a simple job. The hardest parts of the job will...
How to Paint Concrete to Look Like Stone
Before you're ready to paint any concrete surface to look like stone, you have to select what colors the stone will be....
How to Make Old Concrete Look Good
Old concrete is dull and gray and not necessarily an attractive finish to a floor. While putting carpeting or hardwood floors over...
How to Make an Old Concrete Driveway Look Good
Old and worn concrete can become dull, gray and unattractive. Wear and tear from cars causes cracks, then water seeps into those...
Making Concrete Countertops Look Like Granite
Concrete, like granite, is a type of masonry commonly used for countertops. One of the advantages of concrete is that it is...
How to Faux Finish Concrete Floors
Concrete is durable, attractive and in most areas, easy to come by. Paint concrete floors to look like the most expensive marble,...
Do it Yourself Concrete Floors
Concrete floors have been growing in popularity due to their durability and affordability, as well as recent changes in available styles. They...