How to Get Help from a Housing Association

Get Help from a Housing Association
Get Help from a Housing Association

How to Get Help from a Housing Association. Housing associations provide a wide range of low-cost housing services. Registered Social Landlords (RSL) run housing associations managed by a volunteer committee or a board of housing association residents, local citizens, businessmen and politicians. With escalating property prices, getting help from a housing association is often your best bet for acquiring your own home.

Inquire about the eligibility criteria of the housing association. Phone the association for their housing policies or check them online. The housing policies provide detailed information about the housing scheme and applicant eligibility. They also explain how many applications are considered. The law requires all housing associations to commit their housing policies in writing.

Check if you meet the eligibility criteria of the housing association. Some housing associations have specific age and income requirements. Some are set up specifically for the elderly or for people with mental disabilities. Others provide rehabilitation homes for people with substance abuse problems.

If you meet the specified eligibility criteria, send in an application to either the housing association or to the local council.

Be prepared for a long wait once you are on the waiting list. Most housing associations, especially the ones in the prime localities, have many applicants on their list. It could take them some time to reach your application.

Bear in mind the possibility of rejection; housing associations often reject applicants for varying reasons. If you feel your rejection is unjust, lodge a formal complaint in writing or over the phone to the housing association's Complaint Officer. Explain the issue to both the committee chairperson and the local councilor. If the problem remains unresolved, you may want to contact a lawyer.

Take up residence in the housing association after your application is accepted. Under the "Right to Acquire" scheme, you can buy your property at a discount later.

Check your eligibility for the "Social HomeBuy" scheme. You buy half the property and pay the housing association a monthly rent on the balance. You can build equity this way.

Tips & Warnings

  • If you are on the local authority's waiting list, your chances of acceptance are higher.
  • You have the right to see personal information relating to you in the house association files.
  • RSLs have the responsibility to ensure that the housing provided by the housing associations is livable. If you encounter any problems, contact your RSL.
  • In case of housing disputes or disputes with your RSL, get in touch with the Housing Ombudsman.
  • You are not eligible for "Right to Acquire" or "Social HomeBuy" if you are undergoing bankruptcy proceedings.

Related Searches

Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!