How to Make a Deep-Fried Mars Bar. Deep-fried Mars bars are a Scottish delicacy, proudly served in fish and chip shops up and down the country. There are few things more delicious than gooey, melting chocolate, nougat and caramel encased in a crispy golden shell. Now you can make your own at home.
Things You'll Need
- 1 Mars bar
- 5 oz. (150 g) flour
- 2.5 oz. (75 g) corn flour
- 1 pinch bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 8 fl. oz. (225 ml) milk
- Oil (about 32 fl. oz. or 950 ml)
- Mixing bowl
- Deep fryer or saucepan
Chill the Mars bar in the refrigerator.
Mix together the flour, corn flour and bicarbonate of soda in the mixing bowl.
Add milk to the flour mixture until the batter becomes creamy.
Heat the oil in the saucepan or deep fryer.
Remove the Mars bar from the fridge and dispose of the wrapper.
Coat the Mars bar in batter until it is completely covered.
Carefully lower the coated Mars bar into the hot oil and fry until the coating is golden brown.
Remove the deep fried Mars bar from the oil and allow to cool on kitchen roll for several minutes.
Serve and enjoy.
Tips & Warnings
- Use beer instead of milk for a lighter batter.
- Substitute Snickers, Twix or another chocolate bar to vary the recipe.
- For smaller mouths, cut the Mars bar into bite-size chunks before battering and frying.
- Serve the deep-fried Mars bar with ice cream for a truly decadent treat.
- Deep frying in hot oil can be dangerous. Children should not attempt this recipe without the supervision of an adult.
- The inside of the Mars bar will be very hot after frying, so let it cool for several minutes before eating.