How to Get a Teaching License in Minnesota


The state of Minnesota is always looking for highly qualified, enthusiastic teachers to educate their students. The federal program, No Child Left Behind, requires that all educators be highly qualified by state and federal standards. Minnesota does not have a reciprocity program with other states meaning that just because you have a license in another state you can teach in Minnesota.

  • All applicants must submit a fingerprinting card and give authorization for a background check. The fingerprinting must be completed before submitting an application for certification, as the fingerprint card must be included with the application packet.

  • Fill out the Verification of Completion of a State Approved Licensure Program form. If your college or university courses were not attended in Minnesota check with the state licensing board for out of state approved programs. This form is a summary of your education and qualifications.

  • Sign up for the Praxis I and II tests if you have never had a Minnesota teaching license or certificate. These tests have no substitutes and are required by all first time candidates. Study materials can be found online.

  • Prepare and send one packet with a application cover letter, certified copy of your college transcripts, pattern of training, all degrees, certifications that you have been awarded with, any foreign or specialized training you have taken, the fingerprint card, the Verification letter, a copy of an out of state teaching certificate or license, if you have one, and all fees to the Minnesota Department of Education at Minnesota Department of Education, 1500 Highway 36 West Roseville, MN 55113-4266.

  • Meet with an Alternative Assessment Specialist from the Department of Education to apply for a License via Portfolio in lieu of more classes and tests. This option is available to those who have current teacher's licenses and have taught recently in other states. Gather your past projects, certifications, achievements and lessons and submit a formal portfolio for this type of license.

  • Submit all paperwork within sixty days and in one envelope, or your fees can be lost and application removed from certification consideration.

Related Searches

Promoted By Zergnet



You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

3 Day-to-Night Outfits for the Work Week

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!