We can't blame the kids all the time when something appears on our walls. Marks just happen sometimes. Bumping into them, accidentally kicking a wall or scarping a piece of furniture on it when rearranging a room will all leave marks. The following will help you remove these marks before you drastically start repainting them.
Things You'll Need
- Baking soda
- Small bowl
- 2 soft rags or sponges
- Trisodium phosphate (TSP)
- Gallon of water
Mix 1/4 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a small bowl to make a paste.
Wring out a clean, wet cloth or sponge.
Dab the cloth or sponge into some baking soda mixture and rub it onto the mark. Do this in a circular motion.
Rinse the wall with another well-wrung rag or sponge.
Mix 3 tablespoons of trisodium phosphate (TSP) and a gallon of water in a large bucket. TSP can be purchased in the paint department.
Rub the mark with the TSP mixture and a rag or sponge.
Rinse the wall with a clean, well wrung rag.
Tips & Warnings
- Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work wonderfully as well.
- Try using an eraser for scuff marks made by shoes or other objects.
- Try wiping hair spray on marks made by marker.
- To really penetrate into the mark, use a small toothbrush.
- Be cautious when rubbing. Too much rubbing may remove the paint or discolor the wall.
- Some experts suggest mixing cleaning supplies and cornstarch to make a paste. Allow it to dry then brush off.
- Be cautious when rubbing. Too much rubbing may remove the wallpaper finish or discolor the wall.
- Do not use on wood or glossy paints.
- Wear rubber gloves. TSP can be harmful to the skin.
How to Remove Scuff Marks From Walls
Scuff marks aren't as common on walls as they are on floors, but they do happen. The ease with which you can...
How to Remove Stains From Walls
Walls can become stained from smoking, from children's sticky fingers or crayons and the sticky marks left from tape. The types of...
How to Remove Pencil Marks
Accidents happen. As you walk down your hallway, you notice a thin gray line snaking its way down your otherwise pristine wall....
How to Remove Ink & Pencil From Walls
Every household with children has had to deal with pencil or ink marks on walls. Most children have coloring books and crayons...
How to Remove Oil Stains From a Wall
A number of household cleaning products can remove oil from painted walls, but sometimes you have to repaint.
How to Remove Ballpoint Pen Stains From Painted Walls
Removing ink stains from walls isn't easy. Use the wrong cleanser and you risk spreading thinned ink even further or removing a...
How to Remove Pencil Marks from a Wall
The best way to remove pencil marks from the wall is with a Magic Eraser that simply needs to be wet. Discover...