Depending on where you're accessing the Internet, you might need to change your connection settings in Firefox. If you're accessing the Internet from home and have your own connection, then a change or configuration is not necessary. However, if you're relying on a network at school, work, a coffee shop or any other location, you might need to change your connection settings.
Things You'll Need
- Computer with Internet access
Find Your Connection Settings in Firefox
Access your connection settings. Click the Tools menu from the top menu bar (Windows). Mac users should click on the Firefox menu option.
Highlight Options (for Windows users) or Preferences (for Mac users) and then click it to open a new box.
Click on the Advanced tab and then the Network tab (for Windows users) or the Advanced tab (for Mac users).
Change Your Connection Settings in Firefox
Click the button labeled 'Settings' in the Connection box (for Windows users) or the Settings button (for all Macs). A new menu will appear.
Pick the first option if you've got your own Internet connection (Direct connection to the Internet) or check the second option if you're going to connect to a network at work or school (Auto-detect proxy settings for this network).
Click 'OK' to close the settings menu.
Close the Preferences box for Macs or hit the 'OK' button if you're using Windows. The new connection settings will now be changed and saved.
Tips & Warnings
- Get the most recent version of the Firefox browser on the Mozilla download page (see Resources below).
- Look to see if your computer has the minimum system requirements for Firefox. Mac users need a 233 Mhz processor, 64 MB of RAM, 50 MB of free disk and Mac OS X 10.2 or higher. Windows owners must have at least 64 MB of RAM, 50 MB of free disk space, a 233 Mhz processor and Windows 98 or higher. Linux users need the Linux -kernel 2.2.14, 64 MB of RAM, a 233 Mhz processor and 50 MB of free disk space.
- Protect your personal information and your computer from online predators by using Firefox's security features. Some features include a pop-up blocker and anti-forgery technology.
- Gather helpful information from the support section of the Mozilla Web site (see Resources below).
- The following steps were written for version 184.108.40.206 of the Firefox Web browser. Applying them to older versions may not work.
How to Enter Proxy Settings in Firefox
Many companies and organizations use firewalls to block outside users from accessing their Internet connection. In order for you to access the...
How to Fix the Mozilla Firefox Proxy Server Connection
In some cases, your service provider or your place of work will need you to set your proxy server settings to be...
How to Set Internet Options In Firefox
How to Set Internet Options In Firefox. Mozilla Firefox has an "Options" menu, ... Internet Options allows you to change the settings...
How to Change Your Connection Settings in Internet Explorer
Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is the remote system by which you connect to the Internet. The actual computers that operate this...
How to Get to the LAN Settings in Mozilla Firefox
Depending on where you're accessing the Internet, you might need to change your connection settings in Firefox. If you're accessing the Internet...
How to Configure Mozilla Firefox
Firefox's increasing ... as well as choose whether Firefox always checks to see if it is your default browser. The "Network" tab...
How to Disable Proxy Settings in Firefox
How to Disable Proxy Settings in Firefox. Proxy settings are useful to help keep a server secure. ... How to Change Proxy...
How to Edit the Firefox "Registry"
Firefox is a highly customizable web browser. Unlike Internet Explorer, where the advanced connection settings can only be found within the registry...
How to Change Options in Firefox
How to Change Options in Firefox. ... How to Set Internet Options In Firefox. This short how to will show you how...
How to Change the Proxy on Safari
How to Change the Proxy on ... differs from the Mac OS X edition, and uses the proxy settings specified in the...