Making tie-dye shirts is very easy and fun, and produces interesting designs. Its a safe and simple way to indulge in a colorful craft with friends or family. Follow these steps to make a tie-dye shirt that will have rings of color as the finished design.
Things You'll Need
- Shirt made of at least 60% cotton
- Lots of rubber bands
- Fabric dye
- Rubber gloves
- Plastic bag big enough to hold the shirt
- Old newspaper
- Cleaning supplies (If dye should spill)
First lay your shirt out flat onto your work surface.
Grab random pieces of the shirt by both layers and wrap a rubber band or two tightly around to form small bumps of fabric all over the shirt.
Fill your large bucket or sink with hot water.
Now add your dye of choice. Use 1/2 cup of liquid dye for every 2 gallons of water.
Then mix in 1/4 cup of salt for every 2 gallons of water.
Put on your rubber gloves and place the bound-up shirt into the dye vat. Hold it under the surface until it stops floating and lays on the bottom.
Remove the shirt from the dye vat approximately 20 to 30 minutes later, and place it safely onto a laid out newspaper to dry.
Let the shirt dry for 24 hours and then remove the rubber bands.
Once completely dry, your tie-dye shirt is ready to wear.
Tips & Warnings
- The longer you leave your shirt in the dye, the darker the color will appear on the shirt. Exceeding one hour in the dye is not usually necessary.
- If you are going to have more than one color on your shirt, start with the lightest of these colors.
- Let your shirt completely dry before adding the next color.
- Keep your cleaning supplies handy because accidents do happen, and a fabric dye spill needs immediate attention.
- When washing your newly dyed clothing be sure to use the cold water setting for the first few times to keep the dye from bleeding in the wash.
How to Make Mushroom Tie Dye Shirt Designs
You can jazz up one of your boring old cotton T-shirts with a colorful mushroom design. Tie-dyeing is an easy and fun...
How to Tie-Dye a Shirt
Tie-dyed T-shirts have been common since the 1960s, although the technique has existed for much longer. While T-shirts are most commonly dyed,...
How to Make a Tye Dye Shirt
Tie-dyeing is an excellent activity for adults or children, who love to make their own brightly-colored t-shirts. Adult supervision is required, but...
How to Tie-Dye Your T-Shirt
Tie-dyeing allows you to express your personality by taking a plain white T-shirt and creating your own design. It’s a good activity...
How to Make a Tie-Dye Shirt
The Incas tie-dyed fabrics using plant coloring. And you thought hippies invented tie-dyeing!
The Best Tie Dye Patterns
The best tie dye patterns are wonderfully colorful and use individual or combined folding techniques to create unique designs. Tie-dying is the...
Preparing the Dye for Tie Dye Shirts
Learn how to prepare the dye mixture to start making tie dye t-shirts in this free instructional video clip.
Concentric Circle Patterns for Tie Dye Shirts
Learn how to make a concentric circle pattern or design on a tie dye t-shirt in this free instructional video clip.
Using Rubber Bands for a Circle Pattern for Tie Dye Shirts
Learn how to make a stylistic circle pattern or design on a tie dye t-shirt using rubber bands in this free instructional...