Ethiopia, located in the horn of Africa, is the oldest independent nation in Africa. This highly populated country maintains some of the best national parks in Africa and its cuisine has become a commonplace in many large U.S. cities. Travel to Ethiopia is made simple by Ethiopian Airlines, which continues to be a well-known travel provider for the region.
Things You'll Need
- Computer with internet access for making reservations
- Valid passport and visa
Book Travel on Ethiopian Airlines
Save money when you book travel on Ethiopian Airlines by logging on to their Web site (see Resources below). You will find that they offer discounts up to 15 percent off on online bookings. You may also book by phone at (212) 590-2390.
You can book trips from Washington, DC in the U.S. or from several airports in Europe to the international airport in Addis Ababa.
Book a seat on "Cloud Nine," Ethiopian Airlines' version of first and business class, for the most leg room. The ticket price is somewhere between first and business class on most US airlines.
Ethiopian Airlines allows its passengers in "Cloud Nine" to check in additional baggage when flying to Ethiopia. These passengers may check in 3 bags while coach passengers may only have 2.
Know Your Destination
Pack your bags for a monsoon climate when traveling to Ethiopia. This means abundant rainfall in most parts with higher elevations experience substantially cooler temperatures.
Arrange with your hotel for pick up at the Bole International Airport in Addis Ababa, the hub of Ethiopian Airlines.
Tips & Warnings
- An exit tax of $20 or more will automatically be added to the cost of fare to Ethiopia.
- A visa is required for travel to Ethiopia; however citizens of 33 countries, including the United States, may obtain a tourist visa upon arrival in Bole International Airport. You must have two passport-sized photos, a valid passport and you must pay a processing fee in Ethiopian Birr.
- Be sure to carry currency, either U.S. dollars or euros on your flight to Ethiopia. These can be exchanged for the Ethiopian Birr at the airport and cash payment is typically required for most transactions.
- Be advised that homosexuality is illegal in Ethiopia and there is zero tolerance for any behavior which might be construed as homosexual. Penalties include imprisonment.
- While Ethiopia continues to be one of the safest countries in Africa, the United States government regularly advises citizens against travel in some of the neighboring countries, including Eritrea.
A List of 5 Star Airlines
A List of 5 Star Airlines. Skytrax Research, an independent air travel information organization based in London, rates six worls airlines as...
Lufthansa International Check in Luggage Requirements
Lufthansa International Check in Luggage Requirements. Unlike many airlines based in the United States, German-based Lufthansa offers at least one free checked...