Canada is wonderful to see by train. With beautiful landscapes and thousands of miles of track, touring Canada on VIA Rail makes any journey enjoyable.
Things You'll Need
- Computer with Internet access
Buy the Right Travel Pass
Book travel on VIA Rail Canada by calling (888) VIA-RAIL, or by visiting their Web site (see Resources below).
Book a Corridorpass if you plan to travel between southern Quebec and southern Ontario over several days. You will be entitled to unlimited travel in this corridor for 10 consecutive days. It's an affordable way to visit some of the most popular cities in Canada.
Buy a North America Pass for travel throughout Canada and the United States. This 30-day pass is accepted on all VIA Rail trains and most Amtrak trains.
Book a Canrailpass if you're planning a trip to several cities throughout Canada. These passes are good for unlimited travel for 12 non-consecutive days over a 30-day period. The pass costs just over $500 off-season and just over $800 during peak season.
Choose Your Class of Service
Book a ticket in Comfort Class, which is the same as economy. Depending on which train and which route you choose, seating can be either reserved or assigned. Food is not served in the Comfort Class cabins but is available for cash and carry.
Book a VIA-1 ticket for first class travel. Seats in VIA-1 have more room than in Comfort Class. Hot meals are included in the price of the fare and served in the cabin. You will also get priority boarding and Internet access with this class ticket.
Book Sleeper Class tickets for a long trip. Sleeper cabins are either singles, doubles or triples and all have private washrooms. Be aware that Sleeper trains travel at slower speeds for increased passenger comfort, so your trip will be longer than usual.
Tips & Warnings
- Reserve Canrailpass tickets early. Only a certain number of seats are held for pass users and they tend to sell out.
- If you need to transfer from VIA Rail trains to Amtrak trains, you can do so in Windsor, Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.
- Several routes, including the Canadian route and the Ocean route, offer packages with additional amenities such as access to the lounges at the train stations.
- The most frequented route on VIA Rail is the Windsor to Quebec City route. Prepare for the train to be crowded during peak hours.
- Children, seniors and students are entitled to discounted fares on VIA Rail.
How to Book Train Travel From Toronto to Montreal
Toronto is the most populous and largest city in Canada and sits along a primary VIA Rail Canada corridor connecting Toronto to...
How to Find Train Times for VIA Rail Canada
Canadian train travel is done through VIA Rail, a sprawling rail system stretching across Canada. According to a recent annual report, VIA...
How to Find Train Fare Information
If you’ve never taken a train to travel, you may want to think about it. It’s usually cheaper than flying and can...