Amtrak's Silver Star Line offers a fast, efficient way to travel between Tampa and Orlando. The trip takes just about 2 hours, and you won't have to deal with traffic or the other inconveniences of making the drive in your car.
Things You'll Need
- A computer with Internet access.
- A telephone.
Schedule Your Trip
Check the schedules. You can do this by going to Amtrak's Web site (see below) and clicking on the 'schedules' tab. Select Tampa's Union Station from the drop-down menu and then Orlando's train station for arrival. Select your date, and then press 'search.'
Choose your route. Amtrak offers two train lines to Orlando from Tampa every day. Choose from the 6098 Bus or 92 Silver Star depending on what time you'd like to depart. The trip on each train takes approximately 2 hours (excluding delays).
Book your ticket by choosing the best fare to Orlando on the day of your journey and following website prompts to reserve your seat. Be sure to print out your confirmation information or write down and save your confirmation number.
Travel to Orlando
Check your reservation before you leave to be sure that the train is on time and your seat is reserved. To do so, call Amtrak's toll-free phone number or check departures on the Web site.
Arrive at Tampa Union Station early to make sure there is time to check in, check extra baggage and get a good seat. Amtrak often does not assign seats until you have checked in.
Use any extra time to wander around Tampa's historic Union Station. Recent renovations and the addition of eateries and shops make it a lovelier place to visit than ever before.
Tips & Warnings
- Click on the line you prefer when perusing the routes on Amtrak's website. Doing so will tell you which amenities that line has to offer, such as dining options.
- Bring along a book or magazine, a light blanket or jacket and maybe a snack to ensure a comfortable ride.
- Consider going first class on a trip this short. Since it costs less to travel such a brief distance, it might be a good time to book a first-class seat and test out the best of what Amtrak has to offer.
- Call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit the link below.
- Train schedules and special offers are always subject to change, so it wouldn't hurt to call Amtrak's toll-free line a week before traveling to confirm. The number is 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
How to Travel Between Walt Disney World & Tampa
The travel time between Walt Disney World and Tampa, Florida, is approximately two hours by car. Ground transportation such as limousine, taxi...
How to Move a Car by Train From New York to Florida
The Amtrak Auto Train provides the only train option for transporting your vehicle from New York to Central Florida. The Washington, D.C....
Airports Near Longboat Key, Florida
Longboat Key is a popular Florida vacation destination, just off the West Coast, near the city of Sarasota. It's known for its...
Train Trips to Florida
The subsidized U.S. passenger-rail carrier Amtrak continues consolidating routes and closing stations, but as of October 2010, there are still a couple...