Goa, a state in India's West Region, is a favorite site for approximately 2 million tourists every year. Goa's beaches are among the best in the world. Ancient temples and churches along with the Goan carnival are other major attractions for visitors to Goa.
Things You'll Need
- Computer with Internet access for making reservations
- Passport and visa
Choose Your Accommodations
Stay in comfortable, charming cottages in Goa, India, near the beach and experience the beauty up close.
Find accommodations in 5-star deluxe hotels located conveniently to the Dabolim Airport and the Margao Railway station. Expect to pay in excess of $200 per night.
Relax in one of many budget beach resorts in Goa, India, for affordable accommodations for any family vacation or business retreat. Prices start as low as $20.
Spend your honeymoon in comfortable accommodations along one of Goa's famous beaches overlooking the Arabian Sea for $150 and up.
Book accommodations by calling the India Ministry of Tourism at 011 (+91) +011 +23711995 from inside the U.S., 00 (+91) +011 +23711995 from outside the U.S., or by visiting the link below in Additional Resources.
Arrange Your Travel
Arrive in Goa by chartered air flights between October and April at the Dabolim Airport.
Travel to Goa by the Indian rail network with direct trains from Mumbai and Delhi.
Find excellent roads connecting neighboring states such as Maharashtra and Karnataka.
Know that boat, ferry and rental cars are available for travel during your stay in Goa.
Get to Know Goa, India
Make the most of your visit to Goa, India, when you spend the day at one of the many beaches, then follow with an evening of Goan nightlife at a rave party.
Understand the climate is warm and humid with monsoon rains beginning in early June and ending in late September.
Expect to tip 10 percent of your bill at restaurants. While it is acceptable to tip the bellhop and the doorman for exceptional service, taxi drivers do not expect a tip unless they are hired for a full day.
Know that female tourists should avoid wearing skimpy clothing. It is considered offensive to Indians.
Tips & Warnings
- Be aware the major tourist season is from November to March and accommodations will be more expensive during these months.
- Book well in advance for travel during the peak holiday season.
- Know the currency in Goa is the Indian Rupee.
- The state language is Konkani with English, Hindi, Marathi and Portuguese as other languages spoken by most Goans.
- The best time to visit Goa is between October and May.
- Avoid visiting during the monsoon season, June through September.
- Know it is best to not travel alone at night in Goa.