How to Donate Old Furniture


Sure, you might be sick of looking at that same old avocado-green couch, but it could actually be a blessing to someone who needs it. In addition, by donating your old furniture, you'll be able to get a tax break for your contribution. It's a clear win-win; why not clear out some space and invite some good karma?

Things You'll Need

  • Yellow Pages
  • Old Furniture
  • Check your yellow pages under "Associations," "Health Service" or "Social and Human Services for Individuals and Families" to find local charitable organizations that may accept furniture donations. Also check under "Thrift Shops," as these places almost always accept such donations.

  • Contact Goodwill (800-664-6577) or the Salvation Army (800-SAL-ARMY).

  • Call your local high school's drama department or a community theater to see if they can use your furniture for sets.

  • Arrange for the pickup of the furniture. Most charities will send someone to pick up your furniture if you donate it, but be sure to ask about this, especially if delivering the furniture yourself isn't an option.

  • Get a receipt when the items are picked up by the charity. Once you get the receipt, itemize the items you gave to charity and list them with their fair market value. Attach this list to the receipt. See the Related eHow, "Figure Fair Market Value for Donations of Property to Charities."

  • Save your receipt and list for tax purposes.

Tips & Warnings

  • For tax purposes, follow these procedures: If your property is not worth more than $250, keep the receipt with the name of the charity, the date of the donation and a description of what was donated, including its value; if your donation exceeds $250 but is less than $500, get a written acknowledgement from the charity stating whether it gave you any goods or services in exchange for the items donated, and what the fair value of the donation is; if your donation exceeds $500, keep the receipt, your itemized list, an acknowledgement from the charity as described above, and information on how and when you received the furniture and the cost basis. All of this information can be filed with your taxes. If the amount of the donation exceeds $500, you will need to file Form 8283.

Related Searches

Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!