Making macaroni necklaces is a great rainy day activity.
Things You'll Need
- Food Coloring
- Salad Macaroni
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Cookie Sheets
- Small Plastic Containers With Lids
- Cookie sheets
Color uncooked salad macaroni. See "How to Color Macaroni Beads."
Cut a piece of string to the length you want your necklace to be.
Wrap one end of the string with tape to make it easier to string the macaroni beads.
Slide the first piece of macaroni all the way to the end of the string and tie a knot around it to keep other macaroni beads from sliding off the end.
Continue stringing macaroni beads until the string is full.
Tie the ends of the string together to make a necklace.
Have several different colors of macaroni on hand so your child can make patterned necklaces. Patterning is a great activity for preparing children to learn math.
Tips & Warnings
- Have other items on hand to string with the macaroni beads, such as buttons, sequins, plastic beads, cereal loops or candy with a hole in the middle.
- Try a variety of macaroni shapes. Macaroni with larger holes is easier for young children to string.
- Use elastic string to make wrist and ankle bracelets.
- Store colored macaroni in small, plastic containers with lids.
- Once macaroni has been colored, it is no longer edible. Warn children not to put it in their mouths.
- Raw macaroni is a choking hazard for very young children.
How to Dye Pasta For Crafts
Learn a foolproof method for dying pasta for crafts by using hand sanitizer and food coloring. Also included are tips for making...
How to dye colorful PASTA BEADS for kids crafts
Remember how much fun it was to make necklaces out of macaroni? I used to love making pasta jewelry and my poor...
What Crafts Can I Do With Elbow Macaroni?
Elbow macaroni is a great medium for dozens of fun and easy craft ideas. From the classic macaroni necklace to vases and...