While the peanut masala chaat is a popular street-snack in India – chaat refers to small, quick portions of street food, after all – you don't have to enjoy this rendition on a sidewalk. Create this peanut and mango salad for a backyard barbecue, and pair the dish with grilled entrees and an equally summery dessert. Roasted peanuts and sweet mango mix with an array of flavors like mint and lime, and the resulting taste is savory, sweet and all-around delicious. Just make sure you have a large enough bowl to place the salad in, because everyone at your barbecue is going to want a scoop.
Things You'll Need
- 1 cup dry-roasted peanuts
- 1 small purple onion, finely diced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 firm mango, diced medium
- 1 thai chili pepper, minced (seedless serrano pepper for less heat)
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala
Step 1: Combine the Ingredients in a Large Bowl
Start by placing the chopped mango in a bowl. Then, add the onion, cayenne pepper and chili pepper.
Step 2: Mix in More Ingredients
Pour in the diced tomato, and then add the remaining ingredients: the roasted peanuts, cilantro, mint, lime, salt and chaat masala.
Step 3: Toss the Salad Together
Gently toss the ingredients together. Be careful not to crush the mango!
Step 4: Serve and Enjoy
Adjust the seasoning, serve and enjoy with a cold drink.
How to Cut Mango
There is a science to it. Or at least an easier way...