Most cakes are made with eggs or baking soda, which leaven the cake and make it light and fluffy. But, what if the urge to bake strikes and you're without any eggs or baking soda? Reach for this unusual recipe and whip up a delicious chocolate cake that wows your taste buds.
Things You'll Need
- 1/2 cup uncooked cashews
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Double boiler
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup salt-free cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons Dutch cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Place 1/2 cup raw cashews in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Soak the cashews for a minimum of 6 hours, or until they are slightly soft to the touch. Drain the cashews just before adding them to the blender.
Pour 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips into a double boiler, and add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Warm over simmering water until the chocolate and oil melt together into a smooth liquid.
Add all ingredients with the exception of the baking powder to a blender and blend until completely smooth. Sprinkle in baking powder, blend for an additional 10 seconds, and pour into a cake pan that has been greased and dusted with cocoa powder.
Bake in a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with just a few crumbs attached. Allow the cake to cool for at least 30 minutes before removing it from the pan.
Tips & Warnings
- Black beans may seem like a strange addition to this cake, but the dense, soft texture makes for a smooth cake.
- Do not try to remove the cake from the pan too quickly. The lack of eggs or baking soda in this cake make it slightly unstable and it will fall if you disturb it too much before it is cool.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images