Coconut oil has many uses and may help soothe everything from itchy scalp to irritable bowel syndrome. It is high in a saturated fat called medium chain triglycerides, which is easily digested and absorbed. So, if your bald head feels tight and itchy or appears dry and flaky, reach for the coconut oil. Just a few applications can leave your skin feeling moisturized and looking smooth.
Things You'll Need
- Body soap especially formulated for your skin type
- Washcloth or exfoliating sponge
- Knit hat or terry cloth head wrap
Wash your head with soap and a washcloth or exfoliating sponge. This will help rid the skin of dirt and oils and help eliminate flakes on your scalp.
Scoop a dime-sized portion of coconut oil onto your finger right before bedtime. Put the dollop onto your head. Give yourself a little scalp massage using your fingers to distribute the oil evenly around your head. Be mindful of the hidden areas behind the ears.
Cover your head with a knit hat or a terry cloth wrap. This helps keep your head clean and saves your pillow case from oil stains.
Tips & Warnings
- A little goes a long way. Start with a small amount and add more if needed.
- Coconut oil softens immediately when warmed on fingers. Do not put the oil in the microwave as the heat may destroy the healing properties.
- Refrain from spraying coconut oil onto your scalp because it can easily stain clothing.
- Photo Credit Goodshoot RF/Goodshoot/Getty Images