You're flying a fighter jet and suddenly something goes wrong. Your nose goes down and you start plummeting toward the ground, the oil pressure is dropping and the plane's landing gear stuck -- there's no way you can make a safe landing. Unfortunately, most of the time you're going to crash with the plane, because most planes in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" don't have ejection seats. However, if you purchase a plane with an ejection seat, such as the AFS-Design Royal Air Force Jets, IRIS - Airforce Series - Tomcat (FSX) or Chengdu J-10 "Vigorous Dragon" you can use the cockpit controls or a key sequence to save yourself from crashing.
Things You'll Need
- "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" with the "Acceleration Expansion" pack or
- "Microsoft Flight Simulator X SP2 Standard Edition" or
- "Microsoft Flight Simulator X"
AFS-Design Royal Air Force Jets
Purchase, download and install the AFS-Design Royal Air Force Jets (link in Resources).
Launch File Explorer, navigate to the folder where you downloaded the add-on, select the "Compressed Folder Tools" tab and choose "Extract All" to unzip the file you downloaded.
Open another File Explorer window and navigate to the folder with the Microsoft Flight Simulator X files; for example, "\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X."
Switch back to the first File Explorer window with the unzipped add-on you downloaded. Double-click the "Read Me" file and review the instructions for installing the add-on in "Flight Simulator."
Copy the contents of the main folder to the "SimObjects\Airplanes" folder. Copy the contents of the Effects folder to the "Effects" folder and the contents of the Gauges folder to the "Gauges" folder. Copy other folders according to the instructions in the "Read Me" file.
Launch "Microsoft Flight Simulator X," choose "Select Aircraft" and select the Aermacchi fighter. Fly the fighter and press "Shift-E" while flying to eject.
IRIS - Airforce Series - Tomcat (FSX)
Purchase, download and install the IRIS - Airforce Series - Tomcat (FSX) (link in Resources).
Set the "Ejection Seat Arming Handle" to "Down" during your pre-flight routine to ensure the ejection seat is armed. Confirm that the "Ejection Seat Not Armed" caution light is not illuminated.
Climb to an altitude of at least 2000 feet if your "Eng Fire" warning light comes on and stays illuminated or you determine that you can't make a safe landing. Reduce your throttle as much as possible and select the "Ejection Seat Handle" on the front cockpit instrument panel to eject.
Pull the Ejection Seat Handle to eject if you're descending in a deep stall that you can't recover from and you reach an altitude of 7,000 feet.
Eject from the plane if the "HYD/OIL PRESS" warning light illuminates and your engine oil pressure is below 15 or your hydraulic pressure is below 1000 and you can't lower your landing gear with the "ALTN GEAR" handle or use your speed breaks.
Purchase, download and install the Bear Studios Chengdu J-10 "Vigorous Dragon."
Locate the Water Rudder Handle that's normally used for water craft -- it has been reassigned for use as the ejection seat controller in the Chengdu J-10.
Press "Ctrl-W" or "Shift-W" to eject.
Tips & Warnings
- The instructions in this article apply to Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8 and to "Microsoft Flight Simulator X." Other versions of Windows or "Flight Simulator" might require different steps to install aircraft add-ons.
- Microsoft Windows: Zip and Unzip Files
- Fly Away: FSX SIAI Marchetti Aermacchi SF-260
- Simviation: How To's Aircraft Installation
- Fly Away: Installing Add-On Aircraft in Microsoft Flight Simulator X
- IRIS Flight Simulation Software: IRIS - Airforce Series - Tomcat (FSX) Product Handbook
- SimForums: J10 ADT PDF Manual Terminology
- Photo Credit Digital Vision./Digital Vision/Getty Images