With an Xbox Gold Family Pack you can add up to three members under the primary account. You can add new players who already have an gamer tag on the Xbox, create a new gamer tag for a player, or add someone with an Xbox Live account even if he hasn't played on your Xbox before as long as the player is not a member of another family pack and is there to enter his Microsoft account name and password.
Sign in to Xbox Live with your Gold Family Pack primary account. Toggle to "Settings" and then select the "Family" icon. Select the "Add a Family Member" option. Select "Available: Add Gold Family Member" under Your Gold Family Pack.
Scroll through the list of gamer tags to select the person if he already has a gamer tag on the Xbox. Select "Create New Profile" if the person doesn't already have a gamer tag on this Xbox. If the person is new to Xbox you can create the account by following the onscreen instructions. If the person already has an Xbox Live account you will need the Microsoft account and password.
Read the final screen to see how much time is added to the Gold Family Pack if the new member already had an Xbox Live Gold Membership. The Family Pack membership is extended by one month for every two months remaining on the new member's old membership. For example, if the new member had four months remaining, then two months is added to the Family Pack membership period.
Tips & Warnings
- If you don't see the "Available: Add Gold Family Member" option, you have to remove a family member before you can add a new one. To remove a member, go back to "Settings," select "Family" and then select the person you want to remove. Select "Go to Account Management" and then the "Remove From Gold Family Pack" option. Follow the onscreen instructions to confirm the removal of the member.
- If the new player is already a member of another Gold Family Pack you can't add the player to your plan until he has been removed from the other plan.
- After a player has been removed from a Gold Family Pack there is a five-day waiting period before you can add him back to the same plan again.
- The primary account on an Gold Family Pack can use parental controls on all secondary account members regardless of the person's age.
- Information in this article applies to the XBox 360. It may vary slightly or significantly with other versions or products.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Pixland/Getty Images