Ultrasuede is a registered trademark for a type of microfiber, a nonwoven fabric. It's marketed as stain-resistant, fade-resistant and easy to clean. It's made from polyester, a synthetic fiber, so unlike real suede, there are no animal products in Ultrasuede. It's been a popular material for upholstery on couches because of its durability and suede-like texture. Ultrasuede is machine-washable, but the cushion lining might not be. If in doubt, try a non-washing machine cleaning method recommended by the Ultrasuede website for washing your Ultrasuede couch cushions. This method is also safe to use on couch cushions that don't have removable covers.
Things You'll Need
- Lint brush
- Vacuum cleaner with upholstery brush attachment
- Cleaning cloth or sponge
- Soft-bristled cleaning brush, such as a clean shoe brush
Check the manufacturer's care instructions for your couch. Care instructions are often included on a tag inside the cushion covers, in the area beneath the cushions, or underneath the sofa. Alternatively, refer to the booklet that came with the couch for care instructions.
Brush the couch cushions with a lint brush if there's pet hair or other visible debris on the couch cushions. Use the lint brush on all the surfaces of each cushion.
Vacuum the Ultrasuede couch cushions with an upholstery brush attachment. This removes dust and other debris from the fibers. Vacuum both sides of the cushions and the edges.
Dip a clean cloth or sponge in plain water and wring it out well. Wipe down all the couch cushions with the damp cloth or sponge. Wet the cloth or sponge again, wipe down the couch cushions again and allow them to dry overnight. This washes the Ultrasuede cushions without getting them too wet and is the method recommended by the Ultrasuede website.
Brush the Ultrasuede cushions with a soft brush once they're dry. Brushing restores the nap and suede-like finish of the upholstery fabric to make your couch look its best.
Tips & Warnings
- Ultrasuede cushion covers are machine-washable or dry-cleanable, depending on their lining and construction.
- Different fabrics respond differently to washing, which is why it can be risky to wash an Ultrasuede cushion or cushion cover if you don't have care instructions or know what the lining material is made of. If the cushion lining shrinks from washing, it could ruin the cushion.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images