You can boost the Wi-Fi signal reception on your Playstation 3 gaming console. If the wireless router if far away from your PS3, the radio waves that transmit the data may be too weak by the time they reach the gaming console. You can use the reflectivity of aluminium foil to gather the radio waves and point them at your PS3 console. Since foil is thin and flexible, attaching it to something more sturdy will provide a more consistent signal boost.
Things You'll Need
- Card stock
- Aluminium foil
Position the PS3 so that there are as few obstructions around it as possible. Other metallic or electronic devices can interfere with the Wi-Fi signal. Especially move cordless phones or other devices that use Wi-Fi as they function on the same radio bandwidth as the PS3's Wi-Fi.
Set your PS3 on its narrow left edge. Bend the cardstock so that it forms a semicircle around the back and sides of the PS3 about six inches away from the console at the back and eight inches away on either side.
Tape the open end of the cardstock to the front of the PS3 so that the cardstock holds its curved shape. Don't put any tape over the disc slot on the Playstation. Cut any excess cardstock.
Tape aluminium foil to the back side of the cardstock. This will focus the Wi-Fi signal on your PS3 and boost your signal.
Tips & Warnings
- Fine tune the signal booster by rotating the PS3 so the opening points directly at the router.
- Use bamboo skewers to hold the cardstock apart at the front if you don't want to tape it to the PS3 itself.
- Check the signal strength in the PS3's network configuration settings. You can see the signal strength displayed as a percentage.
- Add a matching booster to your Wi-Fi router to boost the signal even further.
- Photo Credit Kiyoshi Ota/Getty Images News/Getty Images