Genghis Kahn was a Mongolian warrior who built an army and went on to build an Empire during the Middle Ages. Ruthlessly destroying tribes across Northeast Asia, Genghis Kahn was a conqueror. The Mongolian Empire was the largest empire in the world before the British Empire. Today, a Genghis Kahn costume is appropriate for a historical or warlord-themed costume party, or for a theatrical production. Make your own Genghis Kahn costume using pieces found at your local thrift store or costume shop, and a few items from a craft store.
Things You'll Need
- Long black wig
- Helmet -- Mongolian warrior style
- Plastic sword or machete
- Chest armor
- Leather arm braces
- Black or brown sweatpants
- Black or brown long-sleeved shirt
- Thin, kimono-style robe in black, brown or khaki color
- Measuring tape
- Faux fur
Measure the circumference around the sleeves of the robe, as well as the length of the robe opening on both sides and the length around the bottom of the robe. Cut lengths of faux fur and sew them along the edges of your kimono robe, using a needle and thread.
Put on the sweatpants and long sleeve shirt. Wear the kimono robe over these garments. Wrap a leather belt around the waist of the robe to keep it closed -- in place of the robe's fabric belt.
Wear leather boots or snow boots with fur around the tops. The boots should come up to your calf or knee. Tuck the bottoms of your sweatpants into the boots.
Place leather arm braces over your long-sleeve shirt and under the kimono robe. Wear chest armor over your kimono robe. Put on your helmet, and carry a plastic sword or machete.
Wear a long black wig to complete the costume. Or if you have long dark hair, wear your hair down around your shoulders or back in a low ponytail.
Tips & Warnings
- Your local costume shop is the best place to obtain a Mongolian-style helmet, plastic machete or sword, leather arm braces and chest armor. Ask the sales associate to help you pick items that represents the Middle Ages. These pieces will add to your costume's authenticity.
- If you are short on funds, you can make your own helmet using a baseball cap with the brim cut off. Add painted cardboard pieces, fastened with duct tape. You can also make your own sword using cardboard, spray paint and duct tape.
- Use a black eyeliner pencil to draw a thin, finely lined goatee on your chin, and fill in your chin to create a point. If possible, grow a real goatee. Shave the goatee the day of the party, to create pointy lines in the moustache and chin area.
- Use the eyeliner to fill in and thicken your eyebrows. To add to the ruthless warlord look of your costume, create a sharp arch in your brows.
- Never carry a real sword or machete when putting together a Genghis Kahn costume. Real swords are both sharp and dangerous.