Hanging curtain rods from the ceiling allows you to save space and position curtains even in the middle of a room. You can use the curtains as a divider or to cover a large window that doesn't have room for a curtain rod on the wall. The curtains are completely functional, will hang down and slide open and closed as needed. Use a curtain rod system that is designed to be mounted on the ceiling for one that looks the best and hangs naturally.
Things You'll Need
- Masking or painter's tape
- Measuring tape
- Ceiling-mounted track system
- Masonry bits
- Hammer drill
- Dust mask
- Masonry screws
Mark on the ceiling where you want the curtain to hang with masking or painter's tape.
Hold the curtain track in position on the ceiling and mark on the tape where each screw needs to be installed.
Pre-drill the holes for the brackets, supplied with the track system, with a masonry bit and hammer drill. Use a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the screws to be installed. Wear goggles and a dust mask to protect yourself from air-borne concrete particles.
Screw the track into the ceiling with masonry screws. The track system will need screws at intervals along the track. Continue screwing them in until they are all in position.
Hook the curtain onto the track with curtain hooks or existing hooks.
Remove any tape if the track system didn't cover it all.
Tips & Warnings
- You can use a ceiling-mounted metal track for this installation as well. Simply drill holes, as required, to install the track in the same method as you would the brackets.
- You can rent hammer drills from many home improvement stores.
- "Norma Vally's Bathroom Fix-Ups: More Than 50 Projects for Every Skill Level"; Norma Vally; 2009
- "The Smart Approach to Window Decor"; Lynn Elliot and Lisa Lent; 2007
- "Popular Mechanics"; A Man's Guide To Drapery Hardware; Richard Day; September 1970
- "Popular Mechanics Complete Home How-To"; Albert Jackson and David Day; 2009
How to Attach Sliding Closet Doors to Concrete
Whether you're installing heavy, mirrored closet doors or lightweight bypass doors, the key to mounting guides or tracks to concrete is using...
How to Hang Drapes on a Concrete Wall
Drapes over a concrete wall, reuqires special tools to make the holes in the wall, for the anchors you need.
How to Hang Curtains From a Slanted Ceiling
A slanted ceiling adds character to a room but it can make decorating difficult. If a window sits between two sloped walls,...
How to Hang Curtain Rods in Cement
Using the right fasteners, you can install curtain rods in cement almost as easily as installing curtain rod hardware on any other...
How to Attach a Curtain Room Divider to a Drop Ceiling
Curtains can be used for many purposes, from covering a window or blank wall, to a room divider to add privacy and...