Retailers sell fencing slats in a variety of colors and sizes, but the total cost of obtaining enough for the length of a chain link fence is considerable. Fortunately, you can avoid the expense by creating your own privacy fencing slats. Manufacturers create the slats with vinyl, but you can use any material that is durable and weatherproof. If you are a do-it-yourselfer, the process of creating and installing your own fencing slats can be enjoyable.
Things You'll Need
- Corrugated plastic sheet, 0.157 inches thick
- Measuring tape
- Utility knife
Place the plastic sheet on a flat surface. It is best to take the sheet to a spacious area where you can work without damaging the surface. Ensure that the length of the sheet is equal to the height of the fence.
Make marks at 1¼-inch intervals along the top edge of the sheet. Make the same marks across the middle of the sheet and along the bottom edge of the sheet. You may use a measuring tape or ruler for accurate measurements.
Draw straight lines from the top of the sheet to the bottom to connect each group of three dots. Cut along each line to produce the slats. Use a utility knife.
Insert the strips into the chain link fence. You can insert each strip straight down by pushing the top end through a hole at the top and the bottom end through a hole at the bottom, or you can weave the strips through more holes in the fence. If you choose to arrange the slats diagonally, cut additional slats to fit gaps where necessary.
Tips & Warnings
- 1¼ inch slats are best for chain link mesh with holes of 2¼ inch width. Measure the width of a hole in your chain link fence. If the width of the hole is bigger or smaller than 2¼ inch, adjust the width of the slats.
- Purchase corrugated plastic sheets from the lumber and composites section of home improvement stores. The sheets are opaque and are available in white.
- Additional options for chain fence slats include bamboo and wood. If you choose to use these materials, ensure that they are weather resistant for outdoor use. Follow the given process for creating slats but cut the materials with a table saw. Bamboo and wood are available from home improvement stores. You can also obtain bamboo from online retailers such as Calibamboo.com and Bamboohabitat.com.
- Photo Credit Medioimages/Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images
How to Make Your Own Slats for Vertical Blinds
Vertical blinds are window treatments for larger glassed areas such as sliding glass patio doors. The slats of most vertical blind sets...
How to Buy Privacy Slats for Fencing
When putting in a privacy fence, it's important to make a good decision regarding the slats you install. The slats are the...
How to Add Privacy to a Chain-link Fence
A chain-link fence protects your yard from invasive animals like raccoons and dogs. However, it does not protect your family from prying...
How to Make an Ugly Chain Link Fence Look Better
Robert Frost’s saying of “good fences make good neighbors” might not be correct, especially if the fence in question is a really...
How to Build a Slat Fence
Building a fence brings privacy and structure to a yard. The board-by-board construction of slat fences gives you a customized look and...
How to Put a Hot Wire on a Chain-Link Fence
A hot wire on an electric fence doesn't necessarily confine pets or livestock within the perimeter of the fence. Rather, it deters...