How to Detect a Carbon Monoxide Leak in Your Home


Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can have harmful effects, including death, if leaked into your home. Detection of the potentially deadly gas is both imperative and difficult. Employ multiple approaches toward carbon monoxide leak detection in your home to most effectively prevent illness or worse. A combined effort of vigilance, preemptive maintenance and deployment of censors will help you detect the gas as soon as possible.

  • Recognize the signs of carbon monoxide poison, if they affect a member of the household. Common signs of carbon monoxide exposure include lethargy, headaches, dizziness and disorientation. Symptoms often match those symptoms associated with the flu, but do not include body aches that often accompany influenza.

  • Order inspections and maintenance of all of your household appliances that are powered by gas. Have your gas range and furnace inspected as well as your chimney to find and repair any leaks that could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Replace any appliances considered potential sources of a carbon monoxide leak. Choose new appliances that are tested and approved by The American Gas Association or Underwriter's Laboratories.

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home. Avoid setting up detectors within five feet of your home's furnace and other gas powered appliances to prevent false-positive readings.

  • Replace the batteries in each detector twice annually to ensure the proper functioning of the detectors.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet



Related Searches

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!