Professional jewelers use sulfuric or nitric acid to remove discoloration on metals such as gold, silver and copper. The acid is combined with distilled water and heated in a ceramic pot, forming a pickling solution. To the novice, an acid-based pickling solution can be dangerous to work with, causing serious burns to the skin and eyes if splashed. Although it may not be as strong, a safer pickling solution is one you make yourself with ingredients from your kitchen.
Things You'll Need
- Glass bowl
- Apple cider vinegar
- Thick towel
- Brass brush
- Soft, lint-free cloths
Pour 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass bowl. Add just enough apple cider vinegar to the bowl to form a thick paste.
Cover a countertop or other stable work surface with a thick towel. Lay the jewelry on the towel.
Coat a brass brush with some of the solution. Scrub the jewelry with the brass brush to remove the discoloration.
Wipe the solution from the jewelry with a damp cloth. Buff the jewelry dry with a soft, lint-free cloth.
- Photo Credit Thinkstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images