Embellishments have been added to wedding dresses throughout history and remain a popular trend. Add your own bling to your wedding dress to personalize the dress and make sure you stand out on your special day. Elegant embellishments can add sparkle to any wedding dress. One wedding fashion expert warns brides to select no more than three embellishments so that you don’t overpower the design of the dress.
Put on your wedding dress and accessories in a well-lit room in front of a mirror.
Decide where you would like to add sparkle to your dress.
Shop for the sparkling embellishments that will complement your dress and accessories. Choose from appliqués, beads, pearls, crystals, edging, embroidery, buttons, fringe, gems, sequins and paillettes.
Sew or pin on the embellishments.
Put on your wedding dress again with all of your accessories to ensure that the embellishments complement your dress.
Tips & Warnings
- Typically, brides add broaches to the neckline or waist of the dress. If you are wearing a dress with a cut-out back, you can also place a dazzling pin at the base of your back which will be in prominent view to your guests when you exchange vows.
- Ask friends and family to help you search for the perfect embellishments.
- Consult a wedding seamstress if you choose an embellishment that must be sewn onto the dress.
- Consider how you will be posed in photos when selecting the perfect embellishment.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/BananaStock/Getty Images