A Biro pen stands out from the normal ballpoint pen, offering more than one color of ink in one pen. Many companies have their name and logo printed on Biro pens and offer them to potential clients to promote business. If you carry one of your company's imprinted Biro pens in your pocket, a multi-color stain can come as the result of a leak. When you treat the stain quickly, using effective supplies and stain removal methods, you can get Biro ink out of your clothes.
Things You'll Need
- Talcum powder
- Cotton swab
- Rubbing alcohol
- Cotton balls
- Heavy-duty laundry detergent
- 4 tablespoons ammonia
- All-fabric bleach
Lay your Biro ink-stained clothing on a flat work surface. Sprinkle talcum powder over the ink stain to absorb moisture. Allow the powder to sit on the fabric for 15 minutes before brushing it off.
Dip a cotton swab in rubbing alcohol. Use the cotton swab to outline the perimeter of the stain. This prevents the ink from bleeding farther into the fabric.
Dampen a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and blot the ink stain. Let the fabric air dry.
Pour heavy-duty laundry detergent over the Biro ink stain to cover it. Allow the detergent to soak into the fibers for two to three minutes.
Fill a bucket with 1 quart of warm water. Add 4 tablespoons of ammonia. Place the Biro ink-stained garment in the diluted ammonia solution. Soak the garment for 30 minutes. Rinse the garment under warm water.
Launder your garment in warm water, using heavy-duty laundry detergent and all-fabric bleach to remove any remaining Biro ink stain.
Check your clothing before drying it. If any ink stain remains, apply laundry detergent to the stain and leave it overnight. Wash the garment again and dry it according to the instructions on the care label.
Tips & Warnings
- Soak ink-stained-colored clothing in milk overnight to help loosen the stain.
- Sponge an ink stain with dry cleaning solvent to remove the pigment. Let the fabric dry and then launder it as usual.
- Substitute a mixture of 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch for the rubbing alcohol.
- "Reader's Digest": 10 Ink Stain Solutions
- University of Illinois Extension: India Ink
- "Good Housekeeping"; Stain Busters -- Ink, Ballpoint
- University of Missouri Extension; Stain Removal for Washable Fabrics -- Special Problem Stains; Sharon Stevens; June 2009
- University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service; Stain Removal for Washable Fabrics; Betty Jo Dedic; September 1996
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Pixland/Getty Images Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images