How to Sell a Vehicle Without a Co-Signer Signature


If you are planning to sell a vehicle that is jointly owned, you will need to examine the title to determine whether a signature from both owners will be required. If the title is listed with your name or the co-signer's, only one signature is required to sell the vehicle. However, if the title is listed with your name and the co-signer, both signatures will be required to sign over the title. In this case, you would need to obtain a power of attorney to be legally able to sell the jointly owned vehicle without the co-signer’s signature.

Things You'll Need

  • Power of attorney form
  • Supporting documentation (such as death certificate, medical certification or military orders)
  • Car title
  • Bill of sale

Create or obtain a standard power of attorney form if the co-signer is deceased, active duty military, or unable to sign due to medical reasons. Forms can typically be accessed from your local financial institution or medical facility.

Complete the form with all applicable information and have it signed and notarized by a notary public. Typical required information includes the name and contact information of the person granting the power and the person who will be acting on his behalf, as well as any limitations on the types of decisions the individual will be authorized to make. You may also be required to furnish supporting legal documentation such as a death certificate, medical certification or military orders.

Record the power of attorney with your local probate court if this is required by your state. Otherwise, simply retain the original notarized power of attorney form as proof of your legal authority to conduct business on the subject’s behalf.

Fill out the back of the title. Sign for both yourself and the co-signer, and include a copy of the power of attorney. Complete a bill of sale, or official sales agreement. Both documents will also require the buyer’s signature.

Give the original bill of sale and title, complete with all appropriate signatures, to the buyer, along with the keys to the car. Make copies of these documents for your records.

Notify the department of motor vehicles (or other relevant agency) and your city treasurer’s office that you have sold the car, and be sure to update your insurance policy once the car has transferred ownership.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!