Perhaps no other baked dessert is as easy as this. A crisp is a baked fruit dessert with some sweet crumbs baked on top. Use any fruit filling you like. This recipe serves about six people.
Things You'll Need
- sugars for fruit filling
- 2-3 cups sliced fruits
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 pound butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- lemon juices for fruit filling
- 1 cup brown sugars
- Lemon Juices For Fruit Filling
- Sugars For Fruit Filling
Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the flour, cinnamon and brown sugar together, then add the butter until the mixture is very crumbly. Reserve.
Butter the bottom of a small baking dish and add the sliced fruit in a half-inch layer. If the fruit is not particularly sweet, toss it with some extra sugar and lemon juice.
Spread some of the crumb topping over the fruit, about a 1/4-inch layer. Be careful not to make it too deep.
Bake for about 15-25 minutes or until the topping turns golden.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Tips & Warnings
- Use any fruit filling that you would normally use for fruit pie. Tougher fruits like apples should be pre-cooked. Soft fruits like berries can remain raw.
- Peel most fresh fruit - the peels will fall off during cooking, as the fruit shrinks.
- The crisp needs to be fairly shallow; the crumb topping doesn't take long to cook and burns easily, so the fruit layer must be thin enough to cook in 20 minutes or so.
- The thinner the crisp is, the easier it is to scoop out.
- For variety, you can add ground nuts, grated zest, rolled oats, or additional spices to the crumb topping. You can also add spices to the fruit, or try a mixture of fruits. This a good recipe to experiment with.
How to Make Peach Crisp
Crumbly oats fill in every nook and cranny in a bed of peaches, creating a crunchy texture to pair with the soft...
Homemade Apple Crisp Recipe
Making a homemade apple crisp is easy and is made with just a few ingredients. It's the perfect pie alternative and is...
How to Make Parmesan Crisps
Meals begin with appetizers that are often the favorite part of the whole dining experience, but people can tire of the same...
How to Make Oatmeal Apple Crisp
**Start to Finish**: 60 minutes **Servings**: 4 to 6 **Difficulty Level**: Beginner With lightly spiced apples -- cooked down until they melt...
How to Make a Fruit Crumble Dessert Quick and Easy
Fruit crumbles are light, refreshing and sweet desserts perfect for summertime treats. They are also quick and easy to make. If you...
How to Make Rhubarb Crisp
A rhubarb crisp is one of the easiest way to turn the sourness of rhubarb into a pleasing dessert to be enjoyed...