Proper mowing of zoysia grass is essential to maintain a quality lawn. This includes not only using the correct type of mower but also mowing at the correct height and frequency.
The best lawn mowers for cutting zoysia lawns have a vertical cutting action, such as those on reel mowers. If a rotary mower must be used, make sure that the blades are sharp and remain so throughout the mowing season.
When To Mow Zoysia
Start mowing zoysia in spring as soon as it start to turn from brown to green. A first low cutting of 3/4 inch will help remove dead tissue and encourage the greening process. Continue mowing through the season every five to seven days at the proper height. Less frequent mowing can result in scalping of the lawn and a poorer-quality turf.
How to Mow Zoysia
The cutting blade on your mower should be set to between 3/4 inch to 2 inches. The lawn clippings may be returned to the soil instead of removed, so long as they are not clumping.
- Clemson University Cooperative Extension; Zoysiagrass Maintenance Calendar; Trent Hale and Chuck Burgess; September 2005
- Clemson University Cooperative Extension; Zoysiagrass; Bob Polomski and Debbie Shaughnessy; March 1999
- University of Missouri Extension; Establishment and Care of Zoysia Lawns; Brad S. Fresenburg; March 2005
- Texas Agricultural Extension Service: Texas A and M University; Zoysiagrass; Richard L. Duble
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images George Doyle/Stockbyte/Getty Images Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How to Dethatch a Zoysia Lawn
Lawns sometimes accumulate a layer of thatch, which consists of decaying buildup from leaves, roots, stems and stolons. Lawns that produce rhizomes...
Can You Cut Wet Grass With an Electric Mower?
Your personal safety should be your top priority when using any power tool. While there are specific guidelines for safe operation in...
Proper Lawn Mowing Height
When embarking on the search for the right height to cut your grass during the summer growing season, you need to answer...