Mobile phones, often referred to as cell phones, have become a part of everyday life. A growing number of people are using their cell phones for their primary lines instead of a traditional land line. The structure of this market has multiple components.
The mobile service market is largely dominated by a few companies. These are Verizon, AT&T, T-mobile and Sprint. As of 2010, AT&T and Verizon together served about 60 percent of mobile customers. The remaining 40 percent were mostly serviced by T-Mobile and Sprint.
Smartphones and Operating Systems.
As of 2010, smartphones were a growing trend in the mobile market. These are phones that function as phones and computers, complete with applications. The major smartphone platforms, as of this writing, were Apple's iOS and Google's Android operating systems. Apple's iPhone runs iOS exclusively, while Android ran on a number of third-party smartphones.
Prepaid vs Contracts
Many carriers offer both contractual and pre-paid plans for their regular and smartphone service. The prepaid plans are more expensive than signing a contract, but users don't need to commit to a given time period and don't have to pay deposits if they have poor credit ratings.
- CNET News: Smartphones Come To Prepaid Wireless Market
- 247wallst.com: The Cellular Market In The US Is Saturated
- news.cnet.com: Android Hits Top Spot in U.S. Smartphone Market
- techdirt.com: Cell Phones Make Another Move On The Landline
- ArsTechnica: AT&T, Verizon Dominate Wireless... Is It Time to Regulate?
- Photo Credit Cell phone image by Elzbieta Sekowska from Fotolia.com
How to Plan Organizational Structure
The organizational structure shows how the organization is put together. It depicts how jobs or departments are arranged. Structure also reflects the...
How to Start a Mobile Phone Shop
When considering self-employment opportunities, starting a mobile phone shop can a be very profitable endeavor. There is always a societal demand that...
What Are the Barriers to Entry in Market Structures?
Organizations use a range of strategies to create barriers to entry in markets in which they compete including cost, technology, investment, knowledge,...