Rose hips are small fruits produced by the rose bush after the rose has died. Rose hips have been used in culinary dishes and as an alternative medicine. All parts of the rose, including rose hips are non-toxic if ingested by animals.
Pets that ingest any part of the rose will not suffer from plant poisoning symptoms. According to Pet Place.com, the rose is not dangerous for pets if ingested, including the berry-like fruits called rose hips.
While rose hips and all rose parts are not toxic, ingesting any type of plant can cause adverse symptoms in pets, states Pawprints and Purrs, Inc. Symptoms associated with plant ingestion include diarrhea, vomiting and depression, and usually are mild with non-toxic plants.
Dogs that ingest roses or rose hips and experience serious or long-lasting symptoms should visit their veterinarian. Rose bushes often are sprayed with insecticides, which can cause adverse reactions in animals. Take a sample of the plant your pet consumed to aid the veterinarian in proper plant identification.
- Photo Credit Studio 504/Photodisc/Getty Images
Are Rose Bushes Poisonous to Dogs?
Gardeners who have dogs may find that on occasion their pets take a nibble of plants out of curiosity. While various parts...
How Dangerous Are Azalea Bushes for Dogs?
Rhododendron spp. "Azalea" bushes are extremely dangerous to dogs. Many plants contain toxins that make your dog sick, but the azalea is...
How to Prepare to Harvest Rose Hips
Harvesting rose hips requires time and preparation to remove properly. Cut rose hips at the right time with help from an expert...