Oxycodone and Opana are semi-synthetic opioids used in the treatment of moderate to severe pain. Opana is actually the registered name of an oxymorphone tablet manufactured by Endo Pharmaceuticals. Both drugs have similar effects with the biggest difference being cost.
The dose ratio between oxycodone and oxymorphone oral preparations is about 2:1. Oxymorphone requires about half as much medicine by mass to reach the same comfort level as oxycodone in pain treatment.
The desired effect of both oxycodone and oxymorphone is generally analgesia or pain relief. Other uses include sedation and treating dyspnea, or shortness of breath. Both drugs have similar side-effects such as decreased respiratory function, nausea, vomiting, constipation, drowsiness, and more.
In the US, oxymorphone tablets are only available under the trademarked name Opana. Oxycodone was developed much earlier and is currently available in generic preparations. For this reason, oxycodone is significantly cheaper than oxymorphone.
- Consumer Reports: Opioid Drugs: Drug Comparison
- Informa: Establishing the dosage equivalency of oxymorphone extended release and oxycodone controlled release in patients with cancer pain: a randomized controlled study
- New Hampshire Hospice and Palliative Care Organization: Opioid Use Guidelines
- U.S. National Library of Medicine: Oxycodone
- Photo Credit pill, pills image by laviniaparscuta from Fotolia.com pills image by Allyson Ricketts from Fotolia.com doctor t image by Andrey Kiselev from Fotolia.com money money money image by Arman Zhenikeyev from Fotolia.com
Oxycodone Vs. Oxycontin
Oxycontin and Oxycodone are narcotics prescribed by doctors for patients who need a strong around-the-clock remedy for moderate to extreme pain, except...
What Are Side Effects of Oxycontin?
OxyContin is a prescription medication from the opiate family of drugs. The active ingredient is oxycodone, a semi-synthetic opiate analgesic. It is...
Morphine Vs. Oxycodone Efficacy
Morphine and oxycodone are two of the medications most widely prescribed for the relief of pain. Both are opioids, analgesics that work...
What Is Oxycodone HCL?
Oxycodone hydrochloride (HCL) is one of the opiod drugs doctors choose from when prescribing medicine for moderate to severe pain.
How to Buy Prescription Drugs in Mexico
With health care prices soaring in the United States, many people are turning to alternative solutions for purchasing prescription drugs such as...
How to Identify TEC Pills
Pills imprinted with TEC can be difficult to properly identify. According to searches on Drugs.com and Pharmer.org, TEC is most likely the...
Tramadol hydrochloride is the primary ingredient in several medications prescribed by health care providers for the management of moderate to severe pain....