Banana plants are in the Musaceae family. These plants produce beautiful blooms often used in edible decorations and on cakes. Banana plants and its blooms are not considered toxic to humans or animals.
Humans who ingest parts of the banana plant and its blooms will not suffer from plant poisoning symptoms. Banana blooms are also known as banana hearts. Deep purple in color, they are often used in Southeastern Asian dishes.
Ingestion of the banana plant will not harm cats, horses and dogs, states the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Ingesting any plant materials can cause adverse symptoms in animals, which are primarily gastrointestinal. Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are possible after plant ingestion.
Banana plants are not poisonous to humans or animals and should not cause symptoms of plant poisoning. If adverse symptoms appear, consult a doctor or veterinarian. Take a sample of the plant for identification purposes.
- Photo Credit Robert Simon/Photodisc/Getty Images
Are Pepper Plants Poisonous to Dogs?
There are a number of plants that are poisonous to dogs when ingested, including not only wild plants but also house plants,...
Poisonous Plants & Herbs for Dogs
Dogs are naturally curious animals and spend a lot of their time sniffing and tasting anything that crosses their paths including your...
How to Kill Banana Plants
The banana is a tropical plant native to Asia. It produces large yellow fruit high in vitamins. Bananas require a lot of...
Poison Pepper Vine Plants
Poison pepper vine plants, Ampelopsis arborea, are problematic fruiting vines that are dangerous in the home garden both for their toxicity to...
Aquatic Banana Plants
Aquarium plants such as the banana plant can remove fish waste and can increase the oxygen content of the aquarium for free....