How Do I Get a Passport Without Both Parents?


The United States State Department has strict guidelines that they require you to meet to obtain a passport for a minor including having both parents appear with a minor child when applying for the minor's passport. However, there are a few ways to get around that requirement.

General Requirements

  • To obtain a passport for a minor child, you must appear in person with your minor child or the child over whom you hold guardianship. Complete and submit Form DS-11, submit child's birth certificate, submit evidence of relationship between child and parent or guardian, present your identification, submit a copy of your ID, pay the fee and submit two passport photos.

When One Parent Is Present

  • Sign form DS-11 in front of the passport agent and submit a notarized statement of consent from the second parent.

When You Have Sole Custody

  • Sign form DS-11 in front of the passport agent. Submit your child's birth certificate where you are the only parent listed or a copy of a court order granting you sole custody.

When You Are the Guardian

  • Complete the previously mentioned requirements. Submit a notarized written affidavit from the parents authorizing you to apply for the passport. Present evidence of sole custody if only one parent signs the affidavit.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit passport image by isatori from
Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Travel For Free With Reward Points

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!