Do I Need a Visa to Go to Australia?

Everyone who visits Australia needs a visa. Visas need to be arranged in advance and can be obtained from an Australian embassy or consulate. Individuals need to determine what type of visa fits their needs before making plans to travel to Australia.

  1. Tourist

    • The ETA visa is an electronic visa that allows tourists to go to Australia for up to three months. The visa is valid for 12 months.

      A tourist visa is also available, it can be for three, six or 12 months. This visa is for extended stays and is not meant for people who intend to reside or work in Australia.

    Working Holiday Visa

    • The working holiday visa is only available to individuals with select nationalities. It allows an individual between the ages of 18 and 30 to work part-time and travel in Australia. The visa is for 12 months. The visa is available to citizens of the following countries: Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and United Kingdom.

    Student Visa

    • Student visas are available to people who are studying official courses in Australia. Courses can be at any level including high school , post-secondary, graduate or vocational. Several types of student visas are available.

    Other Visas

    • Other types of visas are available for workers, refugees, employers and migrants. Visa requirements vary depending on the country an individual is from and how long the visa is needed. Australian embassies and consulates can help travelers determine the best visa for their needs.

Related Searches



  • Photo Credit Australia image by Stefano Maccari from

You May Also Like

Related Ads

Related Searches
View Blog Post

A Budget Traveler's Guide to Florence