What is Himalayan Salt Good For?

Save

Himalayan salt is a pink rock salt mined in the Khewra Salt Mines of Pakistan. According to information provided by the Natural Health International's website, Himalayan salt contains 84 mineral elements and benefits conditions such as irregular heartbeats, high blood pressure, high blood sugar levels, low libido, high acidity, sinus congestion, kidney problems, poor muscle tone, and low serotonin/melatonin levels.

Himalayan Crystal Salt is reported to aid detoxification, libido and high blood pressure
Himalayan Crystal Salt is reported to aid detoxification, libido and high blood pressure

Nutrition

Himalayan salt is claimed to contain 84 elemental minerals; however, research by the the Bavarian State Office of Public Health and Food Safety found, after testing 15 different products, that Himalayan salt is 98 percent sodium chloride. The remaining 2 percent is made up of eight other trace minerals, in addition to a contaminant, polyhalite. Another chemical test performed in New Zealand by the Healthy Salt Company revealed 17 elemental minerals in Himalayan salt, with sodium chloride making up 97.6 percent of the mineral content.

Bag of Himalayan salt
Bag of Himalayan salt (Image: Pixwork/iStock/Getty Images)

Detoxification

Himalayan salt is useful in aiding detoxification, though no more so than other products such as celtic salt, sea salt or rock salt. Salts have a diuretic effect upon the body, as sodium chloride will draw fluids out of the cells and flush the extra fluids through the kidneys. This process may aid the expulsion of chemicals and toxins from the body.

Spoonful of sea salt
Spoonful of sea salt (Image: Robyn Mackenzie/iStock/Getty Images)

Blood Pressure

Despite claims that Himalayan salt is more suitable for people with high blood pressure, Himalayan salt is still predominantly made up of sodium chloride, which directly contributes to high blood pressure.

Blood pressure test
Blood pressure test (Image: kedofoto/iStock/Getty Images)

Warning

If you have a pre-existing medical condition, consult with your health care provider before taking Himalayan salt. Himalayan salt may be contraindicated in people with high blood pressure, kidney disease, cardiovascular disease, and digestive disorders.

Doctor discussing with patient
Doctor discussing with patient (Image: Fuse/Fuse/Getty Images)

Related Searches

References

Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

This Is the Beauty Routine of a Yelp Sales Manager

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!